Frequently asked questions

Many questions have already been asked once. Your question might also be listed here.

Many mortgage lenders allow you to change your bank account online. If your mortgage lender doesn’t offer this option, you can contact them. They can help change your bank account.

This date is determined by your mortgage lender. Unfortunately it is not possible to change this. To see the date on which the direct debit takes place, you can look here.

Because tenants in our country are well protected, a rented home is less salable than a non-rented home. For that reason, your mortgage terms and conditions state that the mortgage lender must always give written permission before you are allowed to rent out your home. The mortgage lender makes a decision on this based on an assessment of the risks.

If you rent out your home without permission, you are not adhering to the agreement concluded with you. This can have adverse consequences. If you have any questions about this, please contact your mortgage lender.

As a surviving relative, you have to arrange a lot when you are confronted with the death of a loved one. For example, it is important that the death is reported to your mortgage lender.

Many mortgage lenders have a dedicated department for assisting people that lost a relative. This department can help you with matters relating to the mortgage. Such as changes in the name or in the account number for the direct debit.

If you have a mortgage with a National Mortgage Guarantee (Nationale Hypotheek Garantie (NHG)), you may be able to claim the Housing Costs Facility (Woonlastenfaciliteit (WLF)) in the event of a death to bridge any payment problems. If you do not want to or cannot keep the house, NHG may entitle you to a remission if a residual debt arises when the house is sold.

If you have further questions after or regarding a bereavement, it is best to contact your mortgage lender or us. We are here to help.

There are different types of POA. A POA is a written statement in which someone gives another person the authority to perform certain legal acts on behalf of that person. For example, our clients have given us the authority to take care of arrears management on their behalf. The POA that you may encounter is the sales POA (verkoopvolmacht). With a sales POA you give us the authority to sell your home.

In some cases, the best or only option for your financial problems is the sale of the collateral. Your mortgage lender has the right to sell your home publicly. This is also known as a foreclosure auction (veiling). The proceeds of an auction are lower than a regular sale. Because we want to keep a possible residual debt after sale as low as possible, you can instruct Mender to sell your home in the regular market. In this way, the revenue from the sale is higher. Mender's employees are experienced and trained to support and unburden you as much as possible when selling your home. They ensure that your home is brought to the attention of potential buyers in the best way possible.

If Mender sells your home, you must sign a sales POA. In this POA it is determined what the lowest acceptable price is at which the house may be sold. You can arrange a sales POA at a notary. The costs of this are advanced by Mender and ultimately passed on to you.

Anyone can face financial problems. If you do not see a solution to meet your obligations or to pay off your arrears yourself, it is wise to seek help. Did you know that many municipalities offer help for this? Take a look at our Tips & Information page. You can also contact us. We like to help you.

You can transfer this yourself to the account number of your mortgage lender, stating your loan number in de description. Each mortgage lender has its own bank account number. View the overview of payment details that apply to your mortgage lender here. You can also find this in the letters you have received.

You can ask us your current arrears amount. Please contact us via telephone number 033 - 422 9411 or by email at

Whether you qualify for a payment arrangement depends on your personal situation. A payment arrangement can be a good solution for temporary payment problems. For example, if your income is temporarily lower or your expenses are temporarily higher. In order to have a good overview of your financial possibilities, you may be asked to provide us with an overview of income and expenses. Please contact us for this. Together we will determine whether a payment arrangement is possible in your case.

Are you unsure whether you can still comply to the payment arrangement? Please contact us directly. Together we will investigate what options there are. It is possible that the payment arrangement agreed with you is not feasible after all. This can happen because your situation has changed. We are happy to work with you to find a feasible solution.

If you have a mortgage with a National Mortgage Guarantee (NHG), there are some life events that are valid ground to claim the Housing Costs Facility (WLF) to bridge any payment problems.

If your disposable income is structurally too low for a payment arrangement, then selling your home may be the most sensible option. We can help you with that too. If you have a mortgage with NHG, you may be entitled to a remission if a residual debt arises when the house is sold.

If you are unable to meet your financial obligations, we will try to find a solution together. If agreements made are repeatedly not fulfilled or if we cannot reach you in any way, we will proceed to seizure. The bailiff can seize your bank account, your income (salary / benefit), allowances and refunds from the tax authorities, your household effects, home and real estate.

Seizures don't just happen. Much has happened before this decision is made. The creditor has sent you a number of reminders and you have been asked by us or another party to fulfill your obligations. You have subsequently received a judgment or writ of execution in which you are requested to pay again. If the debt is not (fully) paid off after that, that may be a reason to proceed with a seizure.

Your wage may be garnished. This means that the bailiff withholds part of your income on behalf of your mortgage lender. Your employer or benefits agency is obliged to cooperate with this. It is important to know that there are costs associated with wage garnishment and that you will have considerably less to spend.

Therefore, always keep in touch with us to avoid wage garnishments. In case of arrears, try to make a payment arrangement that you can keep. Ask for help if you can't figure it out on your own. Please contact us in time via telephone number 033 – 422 9411.

When someone has a debt that is not paid, a creditor may decide to try to collect this debt through a seizure on a collateral. A collateral can be a home. This seizure is made by a bailiff. In an official report, the bailiff describes, among other things, when he seizes, against whom, at whose request, what title there is to be allowed to seize and what is being seized.

This official report is then entered in the public registers (het kadaster). A copy of the report must be handed over to you no later than three days after this registration. The mortgage lender will be informed within 4 days after registration of the report in the register.

The creditor can ultimately choose to start a foreclosure auction. With the proceeds of this auction, the mortgage is first paid off and secondly the outstanding debt. Any remainder is yours. Because the proceeds of a foreclosure auction are generally lower than a regular sale, there will often be a residual debt left.

If you have any questions about selling your home, see the flyer below. In the flyer we provide you with information about the different ways in which your home can be sold. Know that the flyer is written in Dutch. If you have any questions about selling your home, please contact us. We like to help you.

Download flyer

A residual debt is a deficit that arises after the sale of your home, usually because there was not enough money available to repay the entire mortgage.

You can contact us to discuss your situation. We will make sure you get in touch with an employee who can provide you with the correct information regarding your situation.

No, you and your ex-partner are jointly and severally liable for the payment of the full remaining debt. We try to reach individual agreements with you based on your financial capacity.

Yes, with this information we can estimate whether the costs of living is equally divided compared to the total income.

Yes, we will notify you via post or e-mail when your residual debt has been paid.

In comparison to a mortgage, we do not provide annual statements. This is because you cannot deduct interest from a residual debt for your tax return. The residual debt is an interest-free debt. We will, however, send you an annual letter stating what amount the residual debt is today and what it was a year ago.

In the context of the General Data Protection Regulation (law on privacy, Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming (AVG)), we cannot and may not inform you about the situation of your ex-partner.

None, a residual debt is an interest-free debt.

This is not possible for a residual debt. You can, however, arrange an automatic transfer through your bank.

Yes that is possible. There is no form of penalty interest, because no interest is charged on a residual debt.

A BKR registration is reported at the moment there is a credit arrears. This is done in order to make sure that lenders can see whether the person in question has a good payment history. Based on this, a lender can determine whether a credit will be provided.

We manage different credit types and special codes. Below is an overview of the credit types and special codes that we work with.

Credit types:

HY - A HY code is only placed if there is a special coding for a mortgage loan.

RH - An RH code is placed with a residual debt that arose after 1-1-2017 on a mortgage without NHG.

RN - An RN code is placed with a residual debt that arose after 1-1-2017 on a mortgage with NHG.

AK - Concerns a maturing credit.

RO - Concerns another financial liability.

Special codes:

A – This code is reported when there is an arrears. It differs per credit type when it is placed on the credit. In the case of a HY report, this is done at the moment an arrears reaches a total of 3 monthly installments.

H – This code is reported when the A code arrears has been completely repaid. This is a start date for a period of 5 years in which the special code remains visible on the BKR check.

1 – There is a payment arrangement.

2 – There is a claim.

3 – There has been a minimum debit of € 250.00.

4 – The current place of residence of the person is unknown and the person is unreachable.

5 – There is a permitted arrears.

TLA - There is a theoretical final redemption. When a payment arrangement is made, a TLA is often placed on the date of the expected final repayment. (TLA, Theoretische Laatste Aflossing).

PLA – There is a practical final redemption. This is the date on which the loan has actually been terminated. (PLA, Praktische Laatste Aflossing).

Only a PLA is placed in this situation. The function of the end date and the H code are the same in this case and remain visible for 5 years afterwards.

You can email us with the request to check your BKR registration. Please state your name, date of birth and loan number. By doing this you give us permission to request your BKR scores so we can further assess and check this for you.

The moment we receive a request, we first request a BKR check. When we receive the scores, we compare these to your file and check whether the registration(s) reflect the actual events. If this is not correct, we will change the registration retroactively. This will be checked and approved. After everything has been approved, the request is submitted to the administration for processing. We aim to process and complete your BKR request within 14 days. The legal period is longer, namely four weeks. At Mender, it is usually completed within 14 days.

This is free of charge. There are agencies that take up this request for consumers and charge money for it. We make no distinction here. The work remains the same, regardless of whether the request is submitted by an agency or directly by you.

Your mortgage lender may charge you if you are in arrears with your mortgage payment. Your mortgage lender may charge a default interest or fee over the arrears amount. The fee differs per mortgage lender. This arrears amount is debited at the same time as the regular mortgage amount of the following month. We can tell you exactly what your arrears amount is and what costs have been charged.

In the flyer below you can see which costs there might be and why you can be charged. In addition, you will always receive a letter from us if you are charged with costs. Know that the flyer is written in Dutch. If you have any questions about this, please contact us. We are happy to help you.

Download flyer